Making Assessment Personally Relevant

In my previous entry, I wrote,

I want my students to realize that learning is not about making your work conform to some standard imposed by the teacher. Learning is about creating your own standards and adjusting them based on your goals. Learning is about setting your own goals and monitoring your own progress. It is about having conversations with yourself and others.

My students have been very productive in the last couple of weeks and many of them seemed to have grasped the fact that learning is about conversations. Their Personal Progress Reports indicate that they have been reading other blogs and engaging in research that is personally relevant. Their words suggest that they have found topics that they are truly interested in exploring. They are developing their ideas and plans for further research.

My biggest challenge at this point is evaluation. Clay Burrell is right when he suggests in his comment that blogging and grading don’t mix well. I agree. Nevertheless, as Clay observes, the students are “as addicted to being traditional students as we are to being traditional teachers.” They are waiting for grades. They want to know what their work is worth. They have been trained, unfortunately, to equate learning with a letter or a percentage. It’s not learning, in their view, it’s not school, unless there’s a grade attached.

Before I proceed, I should explain that my grade eight students are currently engaged in personal research projects on human rights and social justice. This project emerged from our literature units: we’ve read Animal Farm, and The Diary of a Young Girl. These two texts and their historical background helped us define a context within which the students are now operating as independent researchers. In other words, I gave them complete freedom to research any topic that fits into the context defined for us by the two texts and their inherent themes. The students are researching concentration camps, the Holocaust, child soldiers, euthanasia, current human rights abuses, the Rwandan genocide, the current situation in the Darfur region, children’s rights, human trafficking, Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Nazi propaganda posters and films, Fascism in Italy, war literature, Holocaust poetry, and many other topics.

Their first step involved locating appropriate resources and collecting information. After a while, the students’ personal voices began to emerge and their personalities and individual interests began to dictate the direction of their research. I did not want to disrupt the process by marking their first entries and giving them a rubric with a grade on it. I believe that the act of assigning a grade is a very conclusive and definitive one. It means that whatever has been accomplished has been deemed to have certain value and that it is time to move on. I did not want my students to see their research as fragmented into a number of separate entries, punctuated by my rubrics and marks. I want them to see their work as one continuous flow, not a series of entries. So, I have refrained from assigning grades. Instead, I used class time to talk to them individually about their work and their ideas. I also commented on their work online. I shared resources, pointed out similarities between seemingly different projects, and did my best to encourage cognitive engagement.

Then, I decided to use Individual Progress Reports to help them keep track of their projects, reflect on the work already completed, and plan future direction of their research. As the progress reports of Alice, Gregory, and Amy clearly show, the Individual Progress Reports worked well. They gave my students an opportunity to think critically about their work. It also gave me an opportunity to have yet another conversation about their work, this time centered around a tangible artifact – their very own progress report.

Then, I realized that the students would also benefit from assigning value to their own work. Of course, the challenge with student self-evaluation is that many, when given an opportunity to give themselves a grade, are often too harsh on themselves. Others, on the other hand, sometimes choose not to take the task seriously and give themselves an A+. I realized that I needed to help them visualize their progress, their level of engagement, and their sense of ownership and not simply ask them to rate their own work using the traditional percentage or letter scale. Most importantly, I wanted them to see that an entry that contains lots of facts and links to many valuable resources is not necessarily as valuable as one that shows personal engagement with ideas, one where the readers can hear a unique, personal voice.

So, I created this Self-Evaluation Sheet to help my students plot their own progress:

Self-Assessment Sheet

So far, this handout has been a valuable tool. It gives my students an opportunity to look at their own work from the point of view of four distinct categories (there are, of course, echoes of Bloom here as well as Anderson and Krathwohl):

The first category, that of Data Gathering, asks them to check whether the key facts and issues pertaining to their independent research projects have been identified and posted: “Have I gathered enough information? Have I stated the facts at the core of my research project?”

Next, they have to ask themselves if their entries show that they have grasped the concepts they’re researching. I refer to this stage as Evidence of Understanding. Have they used their own words to restate or paraphrase the material? Can they explain the key issues in their own words?

The third category pertains to analysis and reflection. In other words, I want the students to ask “So what?” What is the point of all this? What have I learned? What do I think about all the information that I’ve been reading and writing about?

The final category asks the students to think about Evidence of Creativity. I want them to ask themselves, “Have I made a personal and unique contribution as a researcher to the field that I’m exploring?”

Once we discussed the four categories, I asked them to draw a horizontal line inside each vertical arrow to represent their progress within each category: “You can place the line close to “No” if, in your opinion, you still have a lot of work to do in this category. You can draw the line somewhere around or even above “Yes” if you believe that your work already exhibits the attributes of this category. Be sure to place the line where it most accurately describes your progress.”

Once the students started plotting their efforts, many realized that their work has been following a flat line, or even falling:

Self-Assessment Sheet Flat

In some cases, the Self-Evaluation Sheet helped the students realize that they have not posted too many entries that indicated reflection or personal engagement and creativity:

Self-Assessment Sheet 3
Self-Assessment Sheet 2

After a number of discussions about this chart, I was delighted to hear some students mention that without high achievement in the first three categories, it would be impossible to reach the top half of the arrow in the final category:

“You really can’t do anything meaningful, like write a really good poem about your topic or do some multimedia stuff unless you’ve done all three first and really well, too.”

“I think I need to go back and reflect on some of my entries. I have too many with just plain facts.”

In other words, they seem to understand the relationship between all three categories and why each successive arrow is taller than the previous one. They understand that collecting information and putting it on their blog is not a challenging task. They understand that an entry that paraphrases information found online is not as interesting and valuable as one that shows the author in the process of analyzing and reflecting on his or her research. Finally, they can see and understand how much effort is needed to produce an entry that makes a personal statement, that constitutes a valuable and unique contribution to the studied field. In other words, they now understand that in order to produce something uniquely their own, they first need to have a solid grasp of all the facts and spend some time reflecting on them and their own thoughts about their research.

The most rewarding part of this experiment was when many students realized that some of their most often read (and commented upon) entries contain all of the first three categories: they contain facts, they paraphrase the information that the students have located, and they also contain a critical analysis and/or a reflection.

Needless to say, this experiment with student self-assessment and personal progress charts is a work in progress. I’m not sure if I’m going in the right direction. I’m not sure if refraining from formal evaluation until the very end of the project and until after the students have had a chance to critically assess and evaluate their own work is the right thing to do. However, so far the response from my students has been encouraging and I can see that the opportunity to plot and assess their progress has been much more valuable to them than a formal grade. If blogging at its best is really a conversation then we as educators are responsible for ensuring that these conversations are not defined by our rubrics but are guided instead by meaningful reflection.

25 Responses to Making Assessment Personally Relevant

1. mary May 28, 2007 at 5:36 am #

I found your blog via a friend’s teaching blog and have been very engaged by all your entries. Thanks for putting up such rich, reflective, detailed accounts of your practice. I’ve been learning a lot by reading through your posts and have gained some valuable insights into my own teaching (10th grade English).

Re: your evaluation question. Perhaps you and the students could work together to design a grading rubric based on the various self-assessments they’ve already done? Maybe they could help determine the criteria and decide what the descriptions of an “A”, “B”, and “C” would be?

2. Barbara May 28, 2007 at 10:27 am #

Thank you for this great reflection. Clarence’s blog pointed me this way and I have to agree with him – Kudos for your openness and transparency. It is in the sharing and reflecting out loud that best practice will be defined and a path laid for others to journey. Your entry makes me long for the classroom and next year I will be spending more time there. From an administrative perspective though I find that in much of your post I can simple substitute teacher for student so you have also made me reflect on how I can better lead the staff into their own personal learning and conversations.

3. Kelly Christopherson May 29, 2007 at 12:03 am #

I’ve been following along, both here and on twitter, as you take time to grade, discuss and try to decide what to do about evaluation. As you journey, it is great to be able to see what is happening and how you are including students in what you are doing. Just out of curiosity, have you had students do any peer reviews of the blogs? Would this provide yet another set of critical eyes to view the work? I believe that, by doing what you are doing, you have set the stage for students to assist you in determining how grading might be done. Through your work with them and your discussions, I believe that you have could work together to create some type of rubric that would allow you to assign a grade which, unfortunately, is still what must be done. Good luck!

4. if May 29, 2007 at 7:01 pm #

… pretty sure you’re aware of this site (but just in case) … peer reviews: http://coolcatteacher.blogspot.com/2007/05/horizon-project-peer-review-best.html

5. Carolyn Foote May 30, 2007 at 7:03 am #

I found this post via Clarence’s blog as well, and really appreciate your efforts to share your thoughts and work with assessing a research process.

I’m a librarian, and struggle with how to help our teachers as they work with the research process and evaluation.

I think your efforts will help your students internalize the process, which is very valuable to them.

We’ve sometimes used progress sheets, though I like the format of yours much better, and I do think asking students to self-direct along the way can really help them guide their own research process.

I really like the self-evaluation format you used, and I can see how effective it could be on many different levels. It communicates to students what elements are key to an effective process–it helps them evaluate themselves outside of the “grade”–it helps both of you see the progress visually.

We’ve used the work of Carol Kuhlthau to guide our thinking on the research process, and much of her work focuses on the natural process and stages we all move through, and how to support and scaffold students at each of those stages. What you are doing is such an effective model of that.

Thanks for sharing and for externalizing your mindful thought process as you approached this project.

I think when we verbalize our thinking for students (and colleagues) it creates a space where we can learn together.

6. Gilbert Babin May 31, 2007 at 6:13 am #

Nice article but it shows some lack of understanding of assessment types.

Grades are to be used as a Summative Assessment means.

The Formative assessments however rarely require grades.

Gilbert

7. Dave Stacey June 3, 2007 at 12:24 pm #

Hi Konrad,

Thanks for a couple of brilliant posts. I’m currently looking at ways of providing more structure for pupils who are undertaking indiviual work and I think these evaluation sheets are just what I’ve been looking for.

At points during our SMART course pupil undertake indivdual work on a topic of their choice, which they present in a manor of their choice. We’ve had some amazing work in, but I feel we could do with a way of helping some pupils better understand the skills they need to use, and some kind of criteria against which to assess themselves. The documents you’ve linked to here seem the best way of doing that of all the ones I’ve seen.

Would it be ok if I used them as the basis of some work I’ll be doing in the next few months?

Many thanks,

Dave

8. mike malcolm June 16, 2007 at 10:03 pm #

I enjoyed reading your thoughts. i really liked the visual appeal of your evaluation as i think it could be a powerful tool for students (both self and peer), teachers and parents alike to see strenghts and weaknesses, and provide a catalysist to move forward. i think you are right about taxonomies, of which there are now lots, if the foundation has not been laid with the lower levels, then the upper levels cannot be attained. i sometimes wonder if people miss the boat with taxonimies, and think every activity has to be at the “high” end, but of course, all stages are important.

9. Miguel Guhlin June 17, 2007 at 9:22 pm #

Konrad, awesome post. Thanks for sharing the images. While I’ve linked to your blog post and Flickr, I’ve also saved two of the images in case I ever need to refer to them again…I see your work here as that valuable!

With sincere appreciation,

Miguel Guhlin
    Around the Corner-MGuhlin.net

10. Terry Elliott July 18, 2007 at 1:47 pm #

This is a great graphic rubric. Simple and effective. I am in an online class right now at the Sloan Center and you can bet I will be directing some folks here for more good ideas. Thanks.

11. Konrad Glogowski July 18, 2007 at 3:59 pm #

Thanks, Terry.

Let me know if you (or someone you know) end up re-mixing my ideas into something new. I would love to see it.

12. Marco Polo January 17, 2008 at 3:32 pm #

Thanks for the rubrics/self-assessment sheets. Very useful. I will adapt these to “Blogging in English”.
    One adaptation I will make is to incorporate some of the rubrics into a checklist, e.g. “I have run my blog post through a spell-checker before posting”.

I also agree with Gilbert’s criticism.
    In your previous entry you wrote:

Yet your assessment worksheets are in fact providing standards (and I see nothing wrong with that).
    Also, if the teacher does not set the standard, that puts quite a burden on the students, particularly as a class in an institution is about getting credits (or grades) in order to graduate/get the certification. Following one’s curiosity is one (admirable) thing and to be encouraged, as is setting one’s own standards, but asking students to set their own standards for passing a course is either an invitation to mayhem or too heavy a burden for students to carry.
    Also, there are areas of learning where this approach might work well, but there are others where it wouldn’t. (See dy/dan’s site for more details.)

13. Jaye February 10, 2008 at 10:47 am #

The article was truly inspiring. Last year I taught a MYP class for the first
    time and the students had to start a personal project. This idea would
    have been just what they needed to get started. The current MYP teachers
    will be informed of your accomplishments. Thanks.

14. Jaye February 10, 2008 at 10:52 am #

The article was truly inspiring. Last year I taught a MYP class for the first time and the students had to start a personal project. This idea would have been just what they needed to get started. The current MYP teachers will be informed of your accomplishments. Thanks.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. 2007年5月29日 | OLDaily[中文版] - May 30, 2007

[...] 进行个人评估 我喜欢这篇帖子有很多原因,在这里提两点:第一,评估是由学生自己实施的,不是由某些学习成绩的仲裁者。第二,评估并非用数字来完成。数字是不需要的,除非你错误地将学习看作某种竞赛。可它不是。Konrad Glogowski, blog of proximal development May 29, 2007 [原文链接] [标签: Assessment] [参与评论] [...]

2. Blogging IT and EDucation » Blog Archive » Making Assessment Personally Relevant - June 1, 2007

[...] Konrad Golowski has a long post about assessing students – and in particular getting them to assess themselves. He makes the point: Of course, the challenge with student self-evaluation is that many, when given an opportunity to give themselves a grade, are often too harsh on themselves. Others, on the other hand, sometimes choose not to take the task seriously and give themselves an A+. I realized that I needed to help them visualize their progress, their level of engagement, and their sense of ownership and not simply ask them to rate their own work using the traditional percentage or letter scale. Most importantly, I wanted them to see that an entry that contains lots of facts and links to many valuable resources is not necessarily as valuable as one that shows personal engagement with ideas, one where the readers can hear a unique, personal voice. [...]

3. K12Online2007 Conference Reflection #9 @ What is School 2.0? - August 10, 2008

[...] Assessment Personally Relevanthttp://www.teachandlearn.ca/blog/2007/05/27/making-assessment-personally-relevant/Instructional [...]

4. Blogging IT and EDucation » Blog Archive » Grading Student Blogging - October 31, 2008

[...] If you’re going to grade them, I like Konrad Glogowski’s grid to encourage students to self grade, and Ryan Bretag has a grading grid for [...]

5. rWorld2 » Evaluating blogs and reflection - November 11, 2008

[...] Making assessment personnally relevant, by Konrad Golgowski [...]

6. Necessidades na avaliação da participação online | sandbox - January 29, 2009

[...] no seguimento desta conversa, e com base no trabalho desenvolvido por Konrad Glogowski, surgiu a ideia da implementação de um sistema de auto-avaliação do aluno, que lhe permita [...]

7. Paving the way to self-assessment : Rebecca Thomas Designs - January 30, 2009

[...] if we were able to lead them toward a more independent, self-directed assessment model? Not only are they proving their mastery over the knowledge, but they’re also looking for [...]

8. Tips On Blogging With Students | The Edublogger - March 28, 2009

[...] shares a variety of tips for blogging with students such as Replacing Grading With Conversations, Making Assessments More Personally Relevant, How to Grow a Blog and Towards Reflective BlogTalk (Image by Teach and [...]

9. » Weekly Posting 07/19/2009 ……..Assessment and Educational Technologies | Avalúo y Tecnologías de Aprendizaje…….. - July 19, 2009

[...] blog of proximal development » Blog Archive » Making Assessment Personally Relevant (p)(f) [...]

10. How to set up, manage, and assess classroom blogs | Blogucation: Blogging for Educators - October 21, 2009

[...] Assessment [...]

11. A Blogger Looks at 50 (All Apologies to Jimmy Buffett) | Metanoia - August 14, 2010

[...] Making Assessment Personally Relevant: “So, how do I make them see that their ability to direct their own learning and engage in conversations with their peers is much more important than a formal grade?” [...]